10 March 2008

Ridiculous Beginnings

All great deeds and all great thoughts have a ridiculous beginning. Great works are often born on a street corner or in a restaurant's revolving door. - Albert Camus


My younger brother and sister both have blogs. Not just blogs... but quite good ones. The layout on both of them are pleasing to look at and have some neat-o (yes, I said neat-o... what of it?) bells and whistles. Being a self-declared computer geek, I have put off starting a blog until I could one up both of their sites. Then I realized... ya gotta start someplace.

So when I stumbled across the quote above, I decided no time like the present... d*mn the torpedoes, full speed ahead... the journey of a thousand miles begins with one step... you eat an elephant one bite at time... and then I screamed in pain at the overload of cliches and quotations. I wanted to stop the thought process before it went into corporate 'catch-phrases.' I was (more ?) worried for my mental health if heard the voices in my head start saying it was time for me to think outside of the box.

Steve pauses... takes a deep breath, and gets a mental image of everyone reading this blog with a look of horror on their face. He chuckles nervously and attempts a grin.

Just kidding there, folks. Honest.

But in all seriousness, I decided that it was better to start with something to sit on my cyber-laurels and do nothing.

So like it or not, this is the beginning of my blog. It may be ridiculous, but hey... it's me!

4 comments:

Mary Denton Taylor said...

"There is only one step from the ridiculous to the sublime!!" Napoleon

One up ME?????? Bring it on big bro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

Matt S said...

Well, I own a software development company - that is about as geek as you get - and I do not have a blog.

So I guess you can consider yourself still on the cutting edge of geek-dom.

You have a great beginning here Steve. You do have a talent for having opinions and expressing them well.

This will be most enjoyable to watch develop.

Matt S

Jennifer said...

well welcome to the blogging world, I will warn you its addicting!

Christi said...

Is that Matt Stermer? Wow! you are FAMOUS! This is Jim Claw-dad's little sister... and I already enjoy Sam and Mary's blogs. You'll do great. I agree with you on the whole conservative but where'd they all go thing.